Monday, September 22, 2008

Paul Mas Cabernet Sauvignon 2007

Picked this up at Waitrose tonight for under a fiver. I think it was £4.79, on sale, reduced from £5.99.

It's a Vin de Pays D'Oc from the south of France, boasting a sticker that says "2008 Top 100, Vins de Pays de France". I had no idea what that meant, but knowing that Waitrose has a good buying staff I thought it sounded like a good bet.

I didn't like it. It has what I can only describe as that "cheap wine taste". It's thin, not much fruit, and not much body or length, except for a lingering, slightly bitter aftertaste. Food helps a bit (I was having pizza - tannins weren't an issue), and after half a bottle I thought it was tolerable, but too little too late.

I noted that this wine's entry the Waitrose website says it has a screwcap closure. This is wrong - it's a synthetic closure (a "Nomacorc").

Paul Mas Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
Pezenas, France
Vin de Pays d'Oc
Waitrose
£4.79 (£5.99)
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment