Sunday, November 9, 2008

Wakefield St. Andrews Cabernet Sauvignon 1996

It's rare to find older vintages of new world wines in shops, so I regard this as quite a find. It first came to my attention when my Irish brother-in-law-to-be bought some at his local shop in Midelton, Cork (home of the Old Midelton distillery) and brought it over to London. I was pretty impressed, so when we went to visit them at Easter I went to the shop to check it out. It was quite the place...my relatives thought it was just the local off-license, but they had quite a range of wines from all over the world (including Canada!), plus the more obligatory stuff like Bordeaux and Burgundy. But what impressed me was the little bin-ends section where this St. Andrews stuff could be found, along with other things like old white Burgundies (of which we tried a very oxidized example).

I have tried both a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Shiraz from this label, and both are equally impressive. They age extremely well, and retain all the power of a new vintage without all the green flavours normally associated with big Aussie reds. It was a priviledge to drink these wines, because as I said it's rare to be able to by a single bottle of an older vintage like this. I think we've cleaned that shop out of all their St. Andrews, but I'll definitely be checking out that place again the next time I'm back there!

Wakefield
St. Andrews Cabernet Sauvignon 1996
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment