Saturday, May 2, 2009

Peter Lehmann Clancy's 2005

Now this is what I'm talking about.  I was lamenting the poor availability of affordable, aged wines in my last post, and this is a perfect example of what we need more of.

This is highway robbery at £5.69 (on offer) from Waitrose.  Clancy's is a blend of Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot (and apparently Cabernet Franc according to the Waitrose website - didn't notice that on the label) from the Barossa Valley.  It's got all the requisite traits - complexity, depth, fruit and a touch of oak - of a good Aussie red, along with 4 years of bottle age to round out the experience.  To be honest, after all my griping, I think this could have done with a couple of more years - not because it's harsh, but I think it's ageing very well, and the oak is hanging around a bit.  Still very enjoyable, and I think everyone else thinks so as well because it's now out of stock at Waitrose.

PS I've never had a Peter Lehmann wine I didn't like.

Clancy's 2005
Barossa Valley, Australia
Waitrose
£5.69 (~£8)
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment