Thursday, July 16, 2009

Mt. Difficulty Chardonnay 1999

Went to Bedales in Spitalfields for lunch today. There were 3 of us, and the idea was to get a nice bottle of wine and some food. The wine on the restaurant wine list wasn't very interesting (at first glance anyways), and there was also the ability to buy wine from their shop to drink in house (with a corkage fee of £8). We decided to get something from the shop.

After a good 15 minutes trying to decide what wine to get, I was nominated to choose and I decided on this New Zealand Chardonnay. My rationale was: good producer, interesting vintage (10 years old) and figured a Chardonnay would be a safe match with whatever food we ended up getting.

The waiter, to be fair, did warn us that there was a risk of it being over the hill, and despite that I decided to try it anyways. I'm glad I did, because it was a lovely wine. Quite mellow and smooth, with some good fruit remaining, and nice spicy, vanilla oak. It also had a nice bit of butteriness to it. One of our party remarked that it had probably lost a bit on the finish, but nonetheless we all thought it was very good.

I thought it may have been a bit overpriced at first, but it was an interesting wine, and I don't think £24 is paying over the odds for a good, well made Chardonnay, especially if it's been cellared for 10 years.

Chardonnay 1999
Central Otago, New Zealand
£24 (and change)
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment