Saturday, July 11, 2009

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Grüner Veltliner 2007

According to the wine press, this Austrian grape is taking the world by storm. It's hip, it's cool, and everybody who's somebody is either drinking it or serving it in their restaurant.

I tried this effort by Sainsbury's last year, and to be honest it didn't make that much of an impression on me. Upon seeing it awarded 4 stars and a "best value" award in a recent Decanter blind tasting, I decided to give it another try.

My opinion is unchanged. It's OK, but just not a big deal. It has a bit of texture, a touch of sweetness (just a touch, it's a dry wine), and a slight bit of pear/citrus fruit. To me, it resembles a boring Alsatian wine. I just didn't think it had that much character to it.

Sainbury's
Taste the Difference Gruner Veltliner 2007
Austria
£7.99
3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment