Monday, August 17, 2009

Valdivieso Single Vineyard Pinot Gris Reserva 2007

I was placing an order with Bibendum, and I decided to add a case of this on at the last moment. I really like Pinot Gris, and I've never had one from Chile before. This particular one also got a couple of favourable mentions from wine writers that I religiously follow. It's currently going for £9.99 per bottle, but I got it for just over £7 during Bibendum's summer sale.

One thing that was mentioned by these writers is that this is a food wine. I completely agree with that. It's a very savoury wine - the pear fruit aromas and oily texture hide a wine with a bit of a grip to it - it would be slow going without food to complement it. A crude way to describe it would be to say it has a bitter finish, but that makes it sound unpleasant, which it isn't. I found it a good match with cheese, especially the Ossau-Iraty.

An interesting wine for sure.

Oddly, the wine is missing from Valdivieso's website in the "Single Vineyard" section for some reason.

Single Vineyard Pinot Gris Reserva 2007
Lontue Valley, Chile
£9.99
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment