Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Errazuriz Max Reserva Chardonnay 2006

I've been trying a lot of different Chardonnays recently. I'm sort of getting into them, and trying to work out my favourite style. I lean towards the oaky, buttery style. I think that Chardonnay definitely benefits from the oak treatment - it's full bodied character is nicely complemented by spicy oak flavours, and done well it makes a delicious combination.

Another contributing factor to the smooth, buttery style is malolactic fermentation. This wine features both oak treatment (fermentation and ageing take place in oak vessels) and malolactic fermentation. The wine is also left to age on its lees for added complexity.

The result is a complex wine that is great value for the price. When chilled it has a strong melon nose and flavour, along with hints of spicy oak. When it warms up a little bit it becomes a different beast altogether. It takes on a bit of a funky character (I hate that word, but it seems appropriate here). It develops an almost meaty nose, with layers of fruit and spice on the palate, finishing with good length and complexity.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for this - I got it from the Waitrose World of Wine Showcase for I think around £6 or £7. It regularly goes for £9.99 I believe. This is going onto my list of favourite under-£10 Chardonnays.

Max Reserva Chardonnay 2006
Casablanca Valley, Chile
Waitrose
£9.99
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment