Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bodegas Carchelo 2008

This wine got my attention at a tasting at our local Oddbins. It seemed to stand out among the other wines we tried that night, which were a selection of wines all priced under £10, so I decided to buy a few bottles.

It's a blend of 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Tempranillo and 40% Monastrell (Mourvèdre) from the Jumilla region of southern Spain.

I'm not sure how much I like it now, though. Although it has some dense structure, it also has a sweet, baked, raisiny character which I'm not too keen on. It also seems low in acidity, which can be typical for Tempranillo-based wines.

Not too bad though, and good value if purchased as part of a case.

Carchelo 2008
Jumilla, Spain
Oddbins
£8.99 (£7.19 if part of a case of 12)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment