Sunday, November 8, 2009

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet 2006

Penfolds Koonunga Hill is a multi-region (Barossa, McLaren Vale, and Coonawarra) blend of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. OK, I admit that I ran out and bought 2 bottles of this because I heard that it received 91 points from The Wine Advocate. Not only that, but it only costs £7.99. What's there not to like?

Turns out not a lot, but not a lot to like either. It has an almost sour, fruitcake nose with smoky red fruit on the palate, followed by some grippy tannins. I thought it improved slightly overnight in an opened bottle. This tastes to me like any other £8 Australian red blend.

It's OK, but I don't see what the big deal is. Perhaps the 91 points is a myth? I can't back up the claim because I don't subscribe to The Wine Advocate, so apologies for possibly perpetuating hearsay.

Koonunga Hill Shiraz Cabernet 2006
South Australia
Waitrose
£7.99
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment