Monday, December 14, 2009

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Vintage Port 2000

I bought this a couple of weeks ago when it was £5 off (£14.99 from £19.99). I thought it was a decent price for a vintage port - although it's something I know next to nothing about. It's now going for £9.99 which is incredibly good value.

This port is quite good actually. It's a bit raisiny, but it's also complex and powerful. My friend who I was drinking it with remarked that it tasted different every time he took a sip - a good indicator of a wine's complexity. Like I said I'm not that experienced with vintage port, but I found this impressive, unlike 'normal' port or LBV, which I usually find underwhelming.

I reckon it's still quite young - it has a youthful acid core. Maybe another 10 years?

Also - apologies for not identifying the producer, I left the bottle at a friend's house. Will update with more info soon.

UPDATE: This port is what used to be called Martinez Quinta Da Eira Velha Vintage port. Martinez was acquired by Symington in 2006.

Sainsbury's
Taste the Difference Vintage Port 2000
Douro, Portugal
£9.99 (£19.99)
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment