Friday, February 5, 2010

Rustenberg John X. Merriman 2006

The other day I was looking for an affordable, high quality Bordeaux-blend wine. I didn't mind going a bit outside my usual price bracket, but not too far. I choose this South African wine from Rustenberg. The back label said it would be good to cellar for 10 to 15 years, and I figured it should have some complexity to it - it's a blend of pretty much all the red Bordeaux varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc and Malbec.

It was a good choice. It had good complexity, depth and structure. It also had a touch of that South African rubber character. Very slight, but it was there. I don't think it took away from the wine though, but I think it would single out its origin in a blind tasting. No matter though, this is just about what I was looking for.

John X. Merriman 2006
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Waitrose
£10.99
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment