Saturday, May 22, 2010

Grandissime 'Grande Reserve' Bergerac Rouge 2009

This is a Bordeaux blend, red version of this.

This wine had some character but wasn't really my cup of tea. Red wines this young always smell young - and to me it's a cheap smell. I recently learned this particular aroma is not just partial to cheap wine - it's young wine. I noticed it at a 2009 barrel tasting of Bordeaux wines hosted by Bibendum, where the wines were anything but cheap.

Anyway, there was depth and structure to this wine, also a noticeable tartness, which isn't something you usually find in red wines. It was definitely a food wine, and improved with time in the glass.

Not bad for a fiver - it would be interesting to see how this would age. I reckon a few months or a year or so to take the edge off would do it some good.

Grande Reserve Bergerac Rouge 2009
AOC Bergerac, South West France
Sainsbury's
£4.99 (£9.99)
2.5/5

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the research and review on this. I’ve seen it in the store and can feel better about buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. vino francese laguzelle minervois

    ReplyDelete