Saturday, May 22, 2010

Grandissime 'Grande Reserve' Bergerac Rouge 2009

This is a Bordeaux blend, red version of this.

This wine had some character but wasn't really my cup of tea. Red wines this young always smell young - and to me it's a cheap smell. I recently learned this particular aroma is not just partial to cheap wine - it's young wine. I noticed it at a 2009 barrel tasting of Bordeaux wines hosted by Bibendum, where the wines were anything but cheap.

Anyway, there was depth and structure to this wine, also a noticeable tartness, which isn't something you usually find in red wines. It was definitely a food wine, and improved with time in the glass.

Not bad for a fiver - it would be interesting to see how this would age. I reckon a few months or a year or so to take the edge off would do it some good.

Grande Reserve Bergerac Rouge 2009
AOC Bergerac, South West France
Sainsbury's
£4.99 (£9.99)
2.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the research and review on this. I’ve seen it in the store and can feel better about buying it!

    ReplyDelete