Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cider, Cyder, Cidre

It's been over 3 weeks since my last post, the reason being things have been a bit hectic around Chateau Webster. We've sold our flat and moved house, something that was long, long overdue. We have 3 children (3 1/2, 2 and 6 months) and we were living in a 2 bedroom, garden-less flat, which was completely insane. Now we are renting an entire 4 bedroom house (temporarily) and things just seem so much more, well, proper.

The build up to the move was extremely busy and stressful and wine drinking and blogging was not a top priority. Most of the wines I did drink were ones that I've already blogged about anyway. Also, the other reason for not drinking much wine is that I've kind of got into cider in a big way. I've always liked it, but I never really experimented with it much. As far as I got was getting hosed on Thatcher's scrumpy at The Old Mitre with my friend Tom (not the Tom who writes on this blog - this one's from Bristol so he's a cider freak).

This summer I discovered Aspall cider, which is on tap in a few pubs that I visit in London. It's really, really refreshing and I'd take it over the tepid lager served up in most pubs any day. I started buying their Dry Premier Cru bottling which is available in most supermarkets and before I knew it I had a cider habit.

I haven't really geeked out on it, but here's a short list of the ones I have been drinking:

1. Aspall Dry Premier Cru. Dry, crisp, ever so slightly tart. Strong at 7%. My favourite. Widely available.

2. Thatcher's Katy Rosé Cider. Pink and marketed at women, but it's nicely dry and immensely gluggable. 5.4%. Sainsbury's.

3. Cidre Breton. Full flavoured cider from Brittany, France. £3.99/L at Oddbins.

4. Waitrose Traditional Farmhouse Dry Cider. Comes in a big 3L plastic bottle and only costs £4.39, but it tastes anything but cheap. Also comes in 2L bottles. 6%.

5. Sainsbury's Strong Dry Cider. Also comes in 3L bottles but only costs £3.12. Not massively flavourful, but will do in a pinch. 5.3%.

The last two, the 3L bottles, may bring to mind drunken teenagers, etc. but to me they are cheap and cheerful refreshing summer drinks. White Lightning they are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment