Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Awatere Valley Riesling 2010

Apologies to my readers (if I have any left) for the long absence . Personal circumstances have necessitated it. I've moved my family twice in the last year and we've ended up in a lovely house with no good wine shops around. Also, I don't need to tell anybody about the expense involved with buying and renovating a house, and buying good wine just couldn't be justified.

However I'm trying to get back off the wagon so to speak, and this is a good one to start with. I've always been a fan of New Zealand Riesling and when we did a recent Sainsbury's online order I saw this on offer.

I wouldn't say it's a classic but it's certainly enjoyable. It's a young wine (2010) so it doesn't have any of those secondary flavours that we Riesling geeks love. It's very fresh and has plenty of acidity, almost too much, but also some pleasant honey character. I would like to see what it would be like after a couple of years of bottle age when the acidity is tamed and some secondary flavour sets in. Maybe one for the cellar?

At £9 it may seem steep, but I got it on offer for a couple of pounds less (can't remember the price exactly). If it evolves well it's a bargain.

Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Awatere Valley Riesling 2010
Marlborough, New Zealand
Sainsbury's
£8.99
3/5

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Tim you still have readers...good that house is lovely,and home delivery does it for us out in sticks. note to self -have another bash at riesling sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this wine the 2011 version on Saturday in a 2 for £12 deal. I am afraid I found it far too acidic and actually complained to Sainsbury's about it. At £9.99 it would have beeen a rip off.

    ReplyDelete