Sunday, November 16, 2008

Domaine de l'Ancienne Cure Monbazillac 2005

The day I bought this I really fancied a dessert wine. We were going over to a friend's place for dinner that night, and I usually bring something such as a sparkling wine or a dessert wine, because the host usually has the dinner wine covered.

Anyways, I noticed Bedales in Spitalfields because I work in the area, and to be honest what I noticed about it wasn't the wine, but the food. They serve these fantastic looking platters of cold meats and cheese, and I've always wanted to go in there and order one along with a bottle of something. Looking over the wines, however, my enthusiasm waned a little. A lot of lesser known wines for sure, but pricey. Also a few big names, older vintage clarets, Burgundys, Barolos, etc. I wouldn't shop there without doing my research first.

Ignoring my own advice, I walked straight in and asked the (helpful) merchant for a dessert wine. Nothing interesting was on show, but he disappeared for a moment and then produced this Monbazillac. Monbazillac is part of the Bergerac region of France. It produces sweet wines of high quality from botritized Semillion, Sauvignon Blanc, and Muscadelle grapes. Perfect, just what I was looking for, and it was only £8.99.

It was a nice wine. I'd say it was good. I wasn't bowled over by it, but it was all the things it should be. Sweet without being cloying, some depth (not a lot) and a good finish. A good effort. I think this is an up and coming region, and I'll be looking out for more Monbazillac.

Domaine de l'Ancienne Cure
Monbazillac 2005
Bedales
£8.99
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment