Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lidl Montepulciano D'Abbruzo 2007

I was reading the paper the other day and came across an article by a wine writer trying to find acceptable sub £3 wines. Her quest inevitably led her to Lidl, where value for money is a religion.

My fiancee and her friend have been shopping at Lidl (I feel compelled to say "not exclusively") for some time now. At first I dismissed it as a crap German store that sold crap German versions of crap food, for, admittedly, good prices. It might have been the Prosseco they sold that put me off (it's grim). But after a while I started to appreciate Lidl. Some of the stuff is actually pretty good, and some of the prices are insanely cheap, and they have these weekly, themed specials that have become habit-forming for us.

Anyways, one of the wines this journalist mentioned was their Montepulciano D'Abbruzo. I think she said it was "at least swallowable" and "tasted Italian". Well, what more do you need? We tried it and, well, it was swallowable and did taste Italian. Don't get me wrong, by no means was it great, or even good. This is a £3 bottle of wine and it tasted like it, but that doesn't mean it was bad. I'd buy it again. The next time we're having pasta with tomato sauce and we've run out of Sassicaia (cough), what could be better that having Lidl's finest Italian red on hand?

Lidl
Montepulciano D'Abbruzo 2007
Abruzzo, Italy
£2.48 (£2.98)
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment