Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Santa Julia Organica Bonarda/Sangiovese 2007



This Argentinian wine was a bit of a panic buy. However, there was some (however hurried) reasoning behind the choice:


  • It is made from Italian grape varieties, which from my limited experience is something the Argentinians do well.
  • It said on the label that it matches well with spicy foods. I was dubious about this, but we were about to have enchiladas for dinner and I was willing to take the label's word for it.
  • It's cheap, about five and half pounds.
It's hard to properly judge this wine, because we had just come straight from a wine tasting at my local Majestic, and the last couple of wines we tasted were very full on reds. We went right into this light-bodied Argentinian red, and coupled with the food we were having, it didn't seem pleasant. I have a feeling it was the enchilada seasoning, which has things like cumin in it which can make red wine taste pretty horrible.

After the meal, though, the wine started to resemble what I like about Argentinian reds made from Italian varieties: a fruity and juicy wine to drink with things like spaghetti bolognese. I wouldn't say it's great, though, and I'd have to try it again to be sure if I like it or not.

Incidentally, if you've never heard of the grape variety Bonarda, according to wikipedia it's also known as Charbono and is a widely planted grape in Argentina.

Santa Julia
Organica Bonarda/Sangiovese 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Waitrose
~£5.50

No comments:

Post a Comment