Sunday, December 14, 2008

Graham's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2003

I picked this up by mistake thinking it was Taylor's LBV 2003 after reading a positive review of it somewhere. When we went to open it I was a bit shocked that I had screwed up, but it turns out it wasn't a bad choice after all.

This port won a Gold and Trophy at the International Wine Challenge 2008. I'm not too sure about these awards, as they seem to give out a lot of medals making me wonder how special they are, but I don't think it's total guff. I need to research them a bit more when I get the chance.

Anyways, the wine. I thought it was just OK. I'm sure it was correct and everything, but I think I find this style of port a bit boring. It's still enjoyable, but from the tastings I've been to I think I prefer older tawnys. I'd say "older vintage port" (proper vintage port as opposed to late bottled vintage), but I can't afford them, and I'm not sure I've really tried any...

If you're an LBV person however, this is one to check out.

Graham's
Late Bottled Vintage Port 2003
Douro Valley, Potugal
Sainsbury's
£8.99 (£11.99)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment