Sunday, December 28, 2008

Wakefield Estate Shiraz 2007

Wakefield wines that's Taylors in Australia) get a lot of positive press here in the UK, but I'm not sure I see why. They produce decent, good value Aussie wines, but are they really anything special? I've tried both the Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz (both available from Majestic), and have been underwhelmed by both.

Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of big, bold Australian reds, or even "elegant" ones (except maybe Jim Barry). These kind of fall in between. They are correctly made, and priced well, but I felt they were ultimately kind of boring, and not really worthy of all the raving from the wine press. If you like this style by all means load up, they are great for quaffing (which is what I bought them for), but don't expect it to blow your mind. I can't really fault them though, so they get a 3.

Wakefield
Shiraz 2007
Clare Valley, Australia
Majestic
£5.99 (when you buy 2 bottles)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment