Friday, January 2, 2009

Cloudy Bay Pelorus NV

If you've never heard of the New Zealand winery Cloudy Bay, let me give you a quick summary of their significance to the wine industry.

In 1985 they produced their first Sauvignon Blanc vintage, and the subsequent 1986 vintage was held to great esteem by the wine press in the UK.  Cloudy Bay became an icon, and the wine has become expensive (but still affordable) and difficult to get a hold of.

Pelorus is Cloudy Bay's champagne-method (bottle fermented) sparkling wine.  It comes in both a non vintage version (discussed here) and a vintage version.  

This is supposed to be one of the better non-Champagne sparkling wines available, but in truth I've never been that enamoured with it, and a recent experience seemed to solidify my opinion of it.  I don't think it's bad, just maybe not all it's cracked up to be.  I will probably try it again in the future.

Pelorus NV
Waitrose
£12 (£16)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment