Monday, March 2, 2009

Domaine Belle Hermitage Blanc 2001

(as part of a fine wine tasting)

The Hermitage appellation in the northern Rhone valley is probably more well known for its red wines than it's white, but the whites are no less coveted.

Produced from a blend of Marsanne and Roussane (the exact proportions are unknown) and with 8 years of bottle age, this wine had a deep yellow colour and a nutty, almost sherry-ish aroma, along with notes of honey, caramel and vanilla.

This wine was part of a "fine wine" tasting we participated in with a group of friends. Admittedly I did a poor job of taking notes, and I see that I didn't actually note anything down to do with how this wine actually tasted. What I do remember though is how well it went with the suggested Beaufort cheese, combining to make a really nice, caramel/honey flavour.

Recommended with fish, seafood and things with butter sauce.

My usual rating system will be difficult to apply to the wines that we had during this tasting. Usually a 3 and above means "I'd buy it again", but at these prices that's not going to happen anytime soon, so for now I'll pretend I can actually afford to drink them.

Domaine Albert Belle
Hermitage Blanc 2001
Rhone Valley, France
Oddbins Fine Wine Store (41a Farringdon Street , London)
~£37
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment