Friday, March 6, 2009

St Hallett Poacher's Blend 2007

This is a really good wine. I was planning to make a recipe from my Wagamama cookbook, and for some reason I thought an Australian Semillion would go nicely with it. I instructed our (Australian) guest to pick one up on the way over, and he came up with St Hallett Poacher's Blend.

It's a winner. It's blend of Semillion, Sauvignon Blanc and (?!) Riesling. You really can detect all 3 grapes in this blend, whether in the nose or the palate. It has zestiness, a rich, full mouthfeel with a lingering finish, and a nice, aromatic quality to it. It matched the food perfectly (Yaki Soba made with ramen noodles instead of soba), and it disappeared so quickly during the meal that I didn't really get a chance to try it on its own after. Brilliant.

St Hallett
Poacher's Blend 2007
Barossa Valley, Australia
Waitrose
£7.99
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment