Thursday, April 16, 2009

Piccini Gran Selezione Oro Chianti 2005

This entry is basically for completeness' sake.  I think this is the same wine as the 2004, but now it's a "Gran" Selezione Oro instead of a "Selezione Oro".  I guess that translates into "really gold selection", instead of just "gold selection".  Maybe that means that 2005 was a better vintage in Tuscany than 2004?  Not according to Parker or Berry Bros.  Perhaps then they mean that the fruit went through a more rigorous selection process for that year?  Maybe it's just marketing-speak?  I'll never know - I suspect this is made for Tesco and I'm sure if I contacted Piccini and asked them, they could fill me in, but it's not really that important.

It's not that important because this wine is pretty good, and it's very good for the current offer price of £4.99 (£4.74 online).   It's pretty indistinguishable from the 2004.  Tesco's website goes as far to call it "powerful".  I'd have to disagree with that, unless they are talking about its marketing appeal - it sometimes appears in its own individual box.  It's still the same, easy drinking wine, but there's nothing wrong with that and I'd highly recommend you stock up while the offer is still on.  I'd tell you when that is, but Tesco can't be bothered putting it on their website, so I can't.

Gran Selezione Oro Chianti 2005 DOCG
Tuscany, Italy
Tesco
£4.99 (£9.99)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment