Monday, April 20, 2009

Porta Winemaker Reserva Sauvignon Blanc 2008

I needed a couple of white wines for Easter plonk and ended up choosing this.  Chile isn't my favourite place for Sauvignon Blanc, but something made me think that Porta was a decent producer so I thought I'd give it a try, and perhaps be pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't.  I thought this wine was pretty bad.  It completely lacks all the characteristics of a good Sauvignon Blanc - the gooseberry fruit, the grassiness, and the slightly weighty character that the good ones have.   All this has is a vague tropical fruit like flavour (in my opinion the hallmark of a dull white - they need more than that) and I actually struggled to drink it, especially as it warmed up in the glass.

I think it was some kind of special purchase from Sainsbury's.  I don't see it on their website, and it's not listed on the Porta website.  I *think* it's made with grapes grown in the Bio-Bio Valley, but that's a guess using what little information is available on Porta's website.

Winemaker Sauvignon Blanc 2008
Chile
Sainsbury's
£4.99
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment