Tuesday, June 16, 2009

d'Arenberg "The Hermit Crab" Marsanne / Viognier 2007

This is Australia's take on white Rhone varieties, and it's a pretty good stab at it. Less peachy than I expected, and more herby and spicy (and apricot). It almost seems like the Marsanne character is dominating here, which seems odd. I could only find the blending ratios for the 2008 vintage, and it's 72:28 Viognier:Marsanne.

No matter though, probably just me being retarded. We had this with dinner, and I'm having a little sip of it on its own now, and I think I prefer it this way. I can taste a bit more complexity now - nutty, caramel notes to go along with the aforementioned apricot.

Decent wine. Although these varieties aren't my favourite white wine choice, it's well put together and enjoyable nonetheless.

"The Hermit Crab" 2007
McLaren Vale, Australia
Waitrose
£6.27 (25% off)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment