Sunday, June 14, 2009

Paulinshof Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese trocken 2007

So I walk into the wine shop and ask the guy what would go with a spicy beef dish. First of all he recommends a Spanish red. Then I tell him what the beef dish actually is (Beef Rendang). "Oh." He says, "That's quite spicy. Maybe a white would be better." So this German Riesling ends up on the table.

As a wine, it's a bit of a new experience for me. It's a Spatlese, meaning it's bit riper than a Kabinett. However it's a dry style (trocken). Combining the two, it has the taste and texture of a dessert wine, but it's dry. It's ripe, fruity and rich. Unfortunately, it didn't go well with the food. It was a competition and the wine lost. There were both quite rich and full of character, but the food just overpowered the wine. I think a lighter, Kabinett-style Riesling would have been better.

The experience made it difficult to judge the wine. It was expensive, and I've enjoyed cheaper German Rieslings far more than I enjoyed this. However, the food clash may be the main culprit here, so I'll hold off on the score.

Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese 2007
Mosel, Germany
Philglas & Swiggot
£16.99

No comments:

Post a Comment