Thursday, July 23, 2009

Spy Valley Riesling 2007

This is currently one of my favourite wines. I love the off-dry Riesling style, and this is a great example at a fantastic price. I got this from Bibendum during their 2009 summer sale for £6.60 a bottle. The wonderfully low price was somewhat tempered by the high cost of delivery (£15), so a group of us got together and bought 2 cases of 12.

Citrusy, off dry, good acid backbone and a characteristically kerosene scented nose, this is a perfect wine for drinking on its own or with spicy Asian food. Its low(ish) alcohol of 12% won't leave you overwhelmed either.

I also have some of the 2008 (from the Wine Society, and I have yet to blog about it) and although it's very good, it hasn't quite got the same character, in that it's lacking the kerosene nose. Perhaps this will come with age?

Apparently I'm not the only one that likes this wine, as both Bibendum and the Wine Society seem to be sold out.

Riesling 2007
Marlborough, New Zealand
£6.60 (£8.99)
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment