Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chateau des Charmes Equuleus 2005

I picked up this Canadian Bordeaux blend at the excellent duty-free shop Toronto's Pearson International airport last autumn. I had never heard of it before, but from the label and information on the producer's website it is presented as a high-end, age worthy red.

The nose gives the impression of a big. powerful wine. Besides the obvious Bordeaux-like characteristics on the nose, I though it had some dried chili pepper aromas, something I'm familiar with because I'm always cooking with them. Could this be from the Cabernet Franc, something that Canada does quite well?

On the palate, the wine is certainly tannic - very much so, hence the age worthy tag. More chili pepper flavours and not a huge amount of ripe fruit. The most disappointing thing about the wine is its finish, or rather the lack of one. It does a spectacular disappearing act after it enters your mouth. Big and bold on entry, and then, nothing. A bit of a shame, especially for the price. It's listed as $40 CAN on the website, but I paid less at the duty free (although I can't remember how much).

It seems to have potential, but just doesn't fulfill it. I'm giving it a 3 because there is a bit of quality, but I wouldn't buy it again for that price.

Paul Bosc Estate Vineyard Equueus 2005
St. David's Bench VQA, Niagra-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada
$40 CAN
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment