Monday, August 24, 2009

Borgo SanLeo Nerello Mascalese Prosecco Rosé NV

This wine is the type of thing I'd serve to guests as an aperitif. However it sat in my fridge for ages because there never seemed a good time to open it due to the weather being rubbish and the general lack of dinner guests. That all changed last weekend though - guests aplenty and some warm sunny weather.

This sparkler was getting a bit of hype over the summer, and deservedly so. It's a blend of the white Prosecco grape and the red Nerello Masaclese, and the result is this non-vintage sparkling rosé. It's intensely pear-scented and gluggably moreish. No, it's not Champagne but it beats boring Cava and for just over £5 a bottle (currenly 33% off) there is no better deal around at the moment.

Forgive me, I've thrown out the bottle and can't remember what I paid (think around £7), so I'm not sure of the exact region it's made in, and the price quoted below the current offer price on WaitroseWineDirect.

Borgo SanLeo
Nerello Mascalese Prosecco Rosé NV
Italy
Waitrose
£5.05 (33% off)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment