Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Colomé Torrontés Vino Blanco de Gran Altura 2007

I had some Tesco Wine Club vouchers to use up, and this was one of the wines I decided to blow them on. I had never tried it before, but the fact that it won a trophy at the 2008 Decanter World Wine Awards pretty much made up my mind for me.

Torrontés is "the" white grape of Argentina. It's not the only one planted, but apparently the best wines from this grape in the world are made here. It produces dry, aromatic wines.

This example is quite stunning. It has a powerful, floral Gewurztraminer-like nose and palate. Quite dry, but also spicy and rich. Herbal as well, it reminds me of Jägermeister in that respect. It finishes with slightly bitter notes, and an aftertaste reminiscent of Muscadet - kind of an apple/grapey taste.

Currently on for £5.25. Bargain.

Torrontés Vino Blanco de Gran Altura 2007
Calchaqui Valley, Salta, Argentina
Tesco (online)
£5.25 (£7.00)
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment