Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Waitrose Good Ordinary Claret 2008

As the weather turns colder I'm getting cravings for Bordeaux. Besides the usual stuff at Tesco and Sainsbury's, I haven't seen too many good deals on claret. Between that and the fact that 2007 was a poor vintage I haven't really bought any recently. I've been sticking to Rhone and Australia.

On a complete and utter whim I decided to try this bottom-rung claret from Waitrose. How bad could it be? 2008 was a decent vintage, and Waitrose has a good team of buyers, why not give it a try? It's only £3.99 after all.

Well, it's ordinary. I don't know about 'good'. It's not bad. It tastes like the kind of wine you'd get served in a pub as the house claret, but only you'd be paying £3.99 for the glass instead of the bottle. It has some fruit, but it's a bit thin. It's drinkable but not terrible. Would I buy it again? Yes, but only if I needed to, and I'm not sure why that would be.

Waitrose
Good Ordinary Claret 2008
Bordeaux AC, Bordeaux, France
£3.99
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment