Sunday, November 15, 2009

Joseph Drouhin Rully Premier Cru 2007

This was supposed to be a bit of a splash-out wine for me. At £12.99 it's not something I would normally buy, except for a special occasion. Embarrassingly, when I was looking at this wine in the shop I didn't know where in Burgundy the appellation of Rully was, however I had heard good things about the producer, so that was enough for me.

Rully is part of the Cote Chalonnaise, which I've mentioned before as a region for good value wines. They may not be the superstars of Burgundy, but they are affordable and can be quite good. So far I've only been impressed with the reds, as other whites from this region (i.e. Montagny) I've found a bit lacking in character and depth, and sadly this is no exception, although it's not a bad wine.

It has a soft, oily texture and a very slight toastiness to it. Elegant but no great complexity or depth. I normally wouldn't complain but for £12.99 I expected a bit more.

Rully Premier Cru 2007
Rully Premier Cru AOC, Cote Chalonnaise, Burgundy, France
Waitrose
£12.99
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment