Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Villa Calcinaia Chianti Classico 2006

Trying this wine recently has sparked my interest in Chianti Classico. Quite often I buy 'normal' Chianti as a good value, food friendly table wine, but there is supposedly a big leap in quality between that and Chianti Classico. It's been years since I've had Chianti Classico (with the exception of the one mentioned above), so I figured it's about time I explore a little bit.

I am a member of the Wine Society, and while I was browsing the wines the other day preparing an order I noticed that they had this offering from producer Conti Capponi. This wine was recommended by Jancis Robinson in an excellent recent article on her website. What further endorsement does one need?

So how was the wine? It is a good, solid wine with a touch more perfume and grippy tannin than say good-quality supermarket, non-Classico Piccini wines. It's not a bargain at £11.25, but it's a fair price for a good Chianti Classico.

I just noticed that it has sold out at the Wine Society, but has been replaced by the Riserva version (for £16). This would have spent a bit more time in barrel - probably worth a try.

Villa Calcinaia Chianti Classico DOCG 2006
Tuscany, Italy
The Wine Society
£11.25
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment