Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Altano Douro 2007

I decided to try this Portuguese wine on impulse. I was thinking I should try more Portuguese wine and Waitrose has a decent range of them. This was on offer for £4.99 - perhaps it would be good, perhaps not.

It's produced by Symington Family Estates, which you may recognize as a leading port producer. The wine is a blend of indigenous grape varieties -Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo) and Touriga Franca (a port blending grape). I think it's important to keep local grapes around in wine-making - they thrive for a reason, and the 'international varieties' don't always work in every grape-growing region.

Anyway, I actually didn't really like this wine. I find it too soft, and I don't really like the flavour, which tastes cheap. It would make a decent everyday table wine if I were partial to this style and if it were a pound or two cheaper.

Altano Douro 2007
Douro, Portugal
Waitrose
£4.99
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment