Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chateau Clerc-Milon 2004

I ordered a case of this wine almost exactly 2 years ago, after it performed well in a Decanter tasting. This a 'fifth-growth' claret from Chateau Clerc-Milon in Pauillac, an estate owned and operated by the Rothschild family.

It seemed a good buy - a 5 star rating in the Decanter tasting, reasonable price (about £22/bottle at time of purchase) and reportedly not needing a huge amount of cellaring time (2010 was the start of the recommended drinking window).

This is the 3rd bottle I've had from the case. This is a 'proper' Bordeaux, where the fruit, tannins, structure and elegance all come together and present a very classy wine.

As some of you may know, this blog focuses on value, so a few words on that. The price of this wine has gone up to between £35 and £40 per bottle. Do I think it's worth that? My answer to that is: it's worth it if you can afford it. I think it's worth the £22 I paid for it, and that's because I can cellar it and drink it when I like.

It's hard to find good, elegant claret without breaking the bank, and sometimes you just have to pay for it. 2004 is an above-average, but not outstanding vintage, and it just may be the last affordable one, precluding the frankly ridiculously-priced, hyped-up 2005 vintage. This 2004 may possibly be looked at as a bargain.

Chateau Clerc-Milon 2004
Pauillac, Bordeaux, France
£21.66 (Jan. 2008)
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment