Saturday, March 13, 2010

Casillero del Diablo Malbec 2008

We all know that Malbec is Argentina's (or Bordeaux's) grape, but why not try a Chilean one? That was the rationale for buying this (just kidding, it was on offer). The Cabernet is also on offer, which is often touted as the best value Cabernet that ever existed.

I guess these wines are good value if you actually like them. I did buy the Cabernet as well, and although very drinkable, it tasted like oak. The Malbec is worse - it doesn't have the structure that the Cabernet has.

I would gladly sit around and quaff these wines - don't get me wrong, but they are the epitome of dullness.

Malbec 2008
Rapel Valley, Chile
Waitrose
£5.49 (£6.99)
2.5/5

2 comments:

  1. The Cabernet is OK - you can get it very cheap at Costco and I've just seen at £5 in Tesco. Bored with it now though. But don't try the Shiraz - I had to consign that to gravy making duties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marc,

    The Cabernet is OK - although boring yes. I would gladly buy it as a quaffing wine when it's on offer.

    By the way, I tried the Isla Negra Cabernet that you were talking about, just before the offer ended at Tesco. Bought a bunch of other stuff as well - posts coming soon...

    Tim

    ReplyDelete