Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tesco Finest Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc 2009

I can't remember exactly why I wanted to try this. I do like a good Chenin Blanc, and I may have seen this in some newspaper columns or something. Tesco Finest, like Sainsbury's Taste the Difference, is pretty good value and a step above their entry-level own label wines.

It's currently on offer for just under £5 (sorry I don't remember the exact in store price, but it's £4.75 online, or 28% off).

The predominant flavour is apple, with a finish containing what reminds me of crystallized sugar, something that I usually associate with cheap whites. It's OK I guess, but I perhaps found it slightly disappointing. Ken Forrester has a bit of a reputation, and I expected more. Also, I'm used to French Chenin Blanc from the Loire, and have yet to have a South African one that really compares. I know they are out there, but to be fair the £5 price bracket probably isn't the place to be looking (although they do some cracking £5 Chenin Blanc in France...).

Tesco Finest Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc 2009
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Tesco
£4.75 (online, with 28% off)
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment