Friday, April 16, 2010

Chateau de Pena Cotes de Roussillon Villages 2007

Over the next few weeks I'll be blogging about a bunch of Wine Society wines I just purchased. Most of them are the low end of the price scale, as always I'm bargain hunting.

This one at £6.50 falls into my usual price range, and it delivers. Actually, I had a bit of a blocked nose while drinking this but I could still taste the quality in it. A lovely, very fruity aroma and lush, dark fruit flavours on the palate make this a very drinkable red. Low in tannin, it kind of fits in with that soft, easy drinking style that I don't really like all that much, but the delicious quality of the fruit makes up for it. Good stuff.

Chateau de Pena
Cotes de Roussillon Villages 2007
Languedoc-Roussillon, France
The Wine Society
£6.50
3/5

3 comments:

  1. Good. I'll be watching your Wine Society tastings with interest - I've given several cases to colleagues as gifts recently but really need to treat myself. Roussillon Villages used to be one of those few budget and decent French reds with name recognition here but not had one for many years.

    We guzzled some of the wines - Tesco Chablis, Claude Dominique, was pretty good - nice balance between dry and fruit. Ogio Primitivo red is not very good, but the Ogio pinot grigio is decent. Now the Bourgogne Aligoté is interesting - this one was indeed astringent/acidic but not overly so, and pretty refreshing. It needs to be drunk with food such as Chinese or Thai I reckon and not as an aperitif. It had some class in my view.

    As a CAMRA member though I alternate between beer and wine and my wife has discovered traditional perry - some of which are almost as strong as weaker white wines. With the sun out now, it looks like a beer night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marc,

    Yeah I had another Roussillon Villages (this one: http://timswineblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/gerard-bertrand-grand-terrior-tautavel.html) and I remembered that it was quite good for the money as well.

    Yes, summer is almost upon us - I'll be hitting the beer as well probably, and the other day I bought a bottle of gin for gin and tonics when we had that hot weather for a few days. Then bring on the rosé, sauvignon blanc, etc...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the research and review on this. I’ve seen it in the store and can feel better about buying it! Colonialgifts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete