Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hungerford Hill Semillon 2008

Hunter Valley is the place for Semillon, and I've been trying them, slowly, over the past couple of years. They aren't always easy to find though, so when I saw this at Oddbins I bought some.

Low in alcohol (10%), it's quite tart and it's dry. I confess I'm not very knowledgeable about this style of wine - is this because the grapes don't get any riper? Standard citrus character, plus a sort of nutty flavour in the background. Interesting, but possibly just short of pleasant.

I think this is where bottle ageing comes in, which is traditional with Hunter Valley Semillon. I'm assuming this would improve with age, because now I'm not sure I would drink it again. Hard to give it a fair score, but the one I gave was based on it's current state.

I'm aware that I'm always drinking Hunter Valley Semillon too young, and one of these days I'll blog about an older one (I've got a Tyrell's Vat 1 2002 waiting, and I tucked away a 2005 Tim Adams a couple of years ago).

Semillon 2008
Hunter Valley, Australia
Oddbins
~£10
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment