Thursday, November 25, 2010

Arabella 'In Unison' Reserve 2007

This is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and possibly Merlot and Viognier. I say possibly because on the Arabella website it declares all these grapes may be involved, and then below that it says 'Blend Information: 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 50% Shiraz'. Either way it doesn't really matter to me, because the wine is fantastic.

I like blended reds because sometimes individual varietal characteristics can be overwhelming, like green-pepper in Cabernet or black pepper spiciness in Shiraz, especially in New World wines. I enjoy blends much more, as you end up with a more interesting, complex wine, like this one. It also lacks the rubber character you sometimes get in South African reds, and is as good as any Australian blend I've had.

I'd say it's decent value at £11.99, but if you're a Naked Wines 'Angel' you'll get £4 of that back, and you won't do much better than this for £8.

'In Unison' Reserve 2007
Robertson Valley, Western Cape, South Africa
Naked Wines
£11.99
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment