Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Boschendal 1685 Chardonnay 2007

Like a lot of wine lovers, I am a bit skeptical about South African wine. The few that I have tried have been over-oaked and dull, reminiscent of that perception of cheap new world wines that made me turn to countries like France and Italy to begin with. Also, South African wines can be quite expensive, so I'm less inclined to try random bottles. However, after recently trying (and enjoying) a Boschendal Sauvignon Blanc, I decided to give the Chardonnay a try.

For me, Chardonnay is one of those things that I only like them if they are done well. That's not to say I'm a snob about it, I just don't really like the "default" Chardonnay flavour. But if it's a really nice one, then chances are I'll enjoy it. This is one such wine.

It has a rich character without being overpowering, which is key for me, and while I can't remember the price exactly, it was around £6 on sale, but i think it usually goes for around £8. An enjoyable South African Chardonnay for in the £6-8 range? Definitely a winner.

Boschendal
1685 Chardonnay 2007
Paarl, South Africa
Waitrose
~£8
3.5/5

1 comment:

  1. This place looks so inviting and looks like you had a memorable experience there, makes me want to go to Boschendal as well. Thanks for sharing this awesome experience with us.

    ReplyDelete