Saturday, November 22, 2008

Clos Monistrol Vintage Cava 2005

Fancy a good bubbly for no particular reason and don't want to break the bank? This is your wine. And you're in luck because it's permanently on sale for £4.99 at Sainsbury's! It never sells for full price! What a great supermarket!

All sarcasm aside, this IS a good wine. For some bizarre reason it shows up on Sainbury's shelves for £4.99 every few months, at "half price". Have you ever seen it for full price? I haven't. Perhaps it's exclusive to Sainsbury's, which is not unheard of. Either way, I shouldn't complain. Every time I see it I buy it because I know it's a reliable traditional method fizz for a ridiculously cheap price.

So is it any good? Yes. Made from Chardonnay and a bunch of indigenous grapes (Macabeo, Xarel-lo, Parellada), it's a smooth, dry sparkler without any of the rubbery flavours present in other cavas in this price range (i.e. cheap NV Condorniu, Freixnet).

Like I said, whenever I see it I buy it, and so should you.

UPDATE: Yes, they do sell it for full price. I actually looked, and there it was on the bottom shelf with the rest of the sparkling wines, mere millimeters from the floor, for £9.99.

Marques de Monistrol
Clos Monistrol Extra Brut Vintage 2005

DO Cava, Spain
Sainsbury's
£4.99 (£9.99)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment