Thursday, November 6, 2008

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay 2007

I was at Sainsbury's and decided to get one of their ready cooked roast chickens for dinner, so I therefore had an excuse to try a budget-priced Chardonnay. I noticed that they had this Penfolds one marked down to £5.99 (from £7.99) so decided to give it a try.

As you can tell a lot of my wine buying decisions are driven by price and what's on sale. Yes, it somewhat limits the range and quality of the wine I drink, but at the same time, getting whatever is on sale forces me to try things I normally wouldn't. I don't buy everything that's marked down, as a lot of it is obviously crap, but once in a while there are genuine quality wines at bargain prices.

I'm not sure this is one of them. As I have mentioned before, I struggle with Chardonnay, especially at the low end of the quality scale. This one is OK. Just OK. £6 is reasonable, but not a bargain; at £8 it wouldn't be worth it. I'm tempted to give it a 2.5, but there is nothing really wrong with it and it is handy with food. It's just not my style.

Penfolds
Koonunga Hill Chardonnay 2007
South Australia
Sainsbury's
£5.99 (£7.99)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment