Friday, November 7, 2008

Tesco Finest Chablis 1er Cru 2004

I have a few issues with Tesco, which I won't get into here, and I'm sure lots of other people do. I think their wine range is improving though, so let's just concentrate on that shall we?

I bought 6 bottles of this Chablis a couple of years ago, because I thought it was a good deal. A Premier Cru Chablis for under £10. After trying it, I wasn't that impressed, so I decided to leave the remaining bottles in the wine rack to let them stew for awhile, despite the label's suggestion that it be consumed within the year.

I was making a risotto, and I had forgotten that I needed a glass of white wine as an ingredient. So I decided to (literally) dust off one of the Tesco Chablis, and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes to cool it down. I poured a glass for the risotto, and promptly shelled the rest.

Was it any good? I though it was a bit acidic, but that's something that should fade with age. I was also drinking it while I was cooking, and I felt it needed food. I was stuffing chopped shallots and mushrooms in my mouth to try to counter the acidity. It probably would have gone quite well with the risotto actually, but the bottle was empty by the time it was ready.

This was produced by what I think is a co-op, Union des Viticulteurs. I like co-ops. They make wine of decent quality and value.

I can't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was around £8 (on sale). Pretty good deal I think. I would say if you are a fan of this style then go for it.

Tesco
Tesco Finest Chablis 1er Cru 2004
Chablis, Burgundy, France
~£12
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment