Monday, December 8, 2008

Mont Tauch Fitou 2007

Mont Tauch's entry-level Fitou is an almost permanent fixture in Waitrose's special offers section. I think I've had it before and was underwhelmed, but for some reason I wanted to try it again. I stopped in at the local Waitrose on the way home from work, and sure enough, it was on offer.

I was prepared to dislike this wine. I haven't had a lot of wines from the south of France that I've really enjoyed. The reds usually have that jammy, sweet berry flavour that I dislike. It reminds me of a Beaujolais, and that's unfair to the Beaujolais, because at least Beaujolais is supposed to taste like that.

Anyways, sure enough this wine had all those characteristics. It's saving grace however was that it went well with the beef stew we had for dinner (looks like the label was right after all). I had a glass after dinner without the food, and it just made me think of strawberry jam (and that's not a good thing).

You could do worse for £4.49, but the food is a must.

I note that Mont Tauch has a higher quality Fitou available at Waitrose as well, made from older vines. I would love to try this. I'm not sure if it's available in-store or just online, however.

Mont Tauch
Fitou 2007
AOC Fitou, France
Waitrose
£4.49 (£5.99)
2.5/5

2 comments:

  1. Korea's seemingly the only country that made Carrefour go belly up, and stopped Wal Mart's invasion from the start. My point is I will never get to enjoy all the great wine selection offered by both Waitrose and Sainsbury's. But then again, I don't envy you on this variery, Tim~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, London is one of the best places in the world to live if you are a wine lover...

    ReplyDelete