Thursday, June 25, 2009

La Grille Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2007

I made a brief mention of this wine previously while discussing its cool-fermented stablemate. It probably would be less confusing if I didn't mention the cool-fermented one, but it's easy to mistake one for the other so let's make the distinction now.

The main difference seems to be this one is far less sweet, and perhaps (although it's hard to tell) higher in acid.

The wine almost seems like a high-alcohol apple cider, such are its appley taste and mouth-puckering acidity. Still, there's enough flavour and body to the wine that the acid is palatable, but food is probably a good idea.

This wine is oak-aged, but I confess I can't really notice any oak flavours. However that could just mean that it's been done properly.

All in all a decent effort - I have always enjoyed Loire Chenin Blanc and I probably don't drink enough of it. If you've never tried it, then these efforts from La Grille are a good start.

La Grille
Barrel Fermented Chenin Blanc 2007
Anjou, Loire Valley, France
Waitrose
£6.79 (on offer)
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment