Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bellefond la Rose Pauillac 2000

I purchased, and drank, this bottle a few weeks ago. I wasn't in any hurry to blog about it because I bought it in Brussels (at the same time I bought this), and drank it with a couple of friends. It wasn't the first bottle of the night, and I registered that it was good but that's about all.

However there are a few interesting things about this bottle for me. It was purchased in a Belgian supermarket, where the choice of French wine is miles better than you would get in a UK supermarket (although they aren't so great on other regions). It's from an appellation that has the most number of first growth estates than an other Bordeaux region (source: Wikipedia). It's from a great vintage (2000), has some bottle age, and it only cost 10€.

This is one of those times where, geeky as it may seem, it pays to have a vintage chart on your person. Thanks to my handy Wine Society wallet-sized vintage chart, I was able to make an informed decision. If it was just an average vintage, and sitting around since then, I would have given it a miss.

I suppose I should mention something about the actual wine. It seems to have been produced by a co-op called Cave de Vignerons de Pauillac for a supermarket group called Delhaize. Apologies for that crude interpretation - that's all I could gather from the label and a quick Google.

Since I don't have any tasting notes (except that I noted it was quite good), the moral of the story is that it pays to carry around a vintage chart!

Cave de Vignerons de Pauillac
Bellefond la Rose Pauillac 2000
Some supermarket in Brussels
10€
3+

No comments:

Post a Comment