Monday, November 23, 2009

Bodegas Jiminez Landi Bajondillo 2008

I tasted this wine during a tasting of The Wine Society's Spanish range a couple of weeks ago. It was a hard wine to judge because it was one of the last ones I tasted (after numerous Riojas and Ribera del Dueros), but it stuck out for some reason and I ended up ordering a couple of bottles. In hindsight the reason was probably the low price and the fact that it was a blend, which may lend itself to a bit of complexity.

It's a blend of Tempranillo, Merlot, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon from the Méntrida region of Spain, which is in the province of Toledo in central Spain.

To be entirely honest, I don't much like it. It seems a bit dilute, with some grapey fruit character and some lingering tannin. It unfortunately also has that cheap smell/taste that I find so off-putting (I'm sorry I can't describe it better - a friend and I call it the 'cheap Cotes-du-Rhone' taste).

The tasting notes from The Wine Society describe it as chunky, powerful and intense, but I found it anything but. I actually think it's supposed to be an easy-drinking style, but why all the different grapes in the blend? They don't really lend much complexity - maybe that's why I feel a bit let down.

Bajondillo 2008
Méntrida DO, Spain
The Wine Society
£6.95
2/5

1 comment:

  1. Me sure love this wine and these days in our home instead for getting a French wine ( it's good but price wise ??? ) any way having this " Bajondillo " one ~ two in a week .... Good Tasty Wine !!

    ReplyDelete