Sunday, November 29, 2009

Michel Torino 'Don David' Tannat Reserve 2007

I was walking down a local street a few days ago and noticed a new wine shop had sprung up. It turned out it had only opened about an hour before I noticed it, and the proprietor was none other than Daniel Thorold, who used to co-run The Grape Shop near Clapham Junction. The Grape Shop closed down because of a prohibitive rent increase, so Daniel decided to set up shop in Balham with Thorold Wines.

Daniel decided to organize the wines on his shelves by price instead of region, which is unusual, but the shop is small enough that it's no problem to find what you're looking for. The selection ranges from £5 to over £50.

This Tannat from Argentine producer Michel Torino stood out right away for me. I've heard good things about Michel Torino, and I like grapes like Tannat that have unique character to them. I decided to give it a try (as did the customer before me).

I decanted the wine on the advice of Mr. Thorold, I think for about 2 hours. It was quite good - the most noticeable flavour signature was chocolate, and it had good depth of flavour and nice long finish. Although it was quite powerful and New World in style, it was also quite elegant. Most enjoyable.

'Don David' Tannat Reserve 2007
Cafayate Valley, Catamarca, Argentina
£10.85
3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment