Friday, December 18, 2009

Vega Escal Priorat 2005

Priorat is an old wine region in Catalonia, Spain dating back to the 12th century. The wines are usually red, and big, and mostly composed of Grenache, Carignan and Syrah. This one in particular is 60% Carignan, 30% Grenache and 10% Syrah.

At first, the wine had very fresh, fruity blackcurrant notes - dense but fruity, and also quite inky and dark coloured. It reminded me almost of an Argentinian Malbec. However after time it started to resemble a Languedoc-Roussillon red (no doubt due to the Carignan content - not a bad thing), with a bit of rustic character showing through, and some good length. Enjoyable I thought, although I think it would have shown better with decanting - I need to decant more often, it really helps wine show at its best. I wasn't too impressed when I first opened it, but now it's drinking like a proper wine.

A quick glance at the label reveals it to be 14.5%. I guess that explains why my face feels like it's full of quick-drying cement right now.

Vega Escal
Priorat 2005
Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain
Waitrose
£7.59 (£9.49)
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment